Monday, November 21, 2011

The Love poems of Rumi.

For my 19th birthday A friend of mine got me a book called "The love poems of Rumi" I read many poems in that book, but until yesterday, 4 years later, I actually felt the poems. I didn't really feel  the love but I felt the yearning for that beautiful feeling of love, and at first I was in pain! 


Here are two different poems that gave me the chills and made my eyes watery!


                                        " Both light and shadow are the dance of Love.
Love has no cause, it is the astrolabe of God's secrets.
Lover and loving are inseparable and timeless.
Although I may try to describe love,
when I experience it, I am speechless.
Although I may try to write about love, I am rendered helpless. 
My pen breaks, and the paper slips away
at the ineffable place where lover loving and loved are one.
Every moment is made glorious by the light of Love."



Do You Love Me? by Rumi

"A lover asked his beloved,
Do you love yourself more
than you love me?

The beloved replied,
I have died to myself
and I live for you.

I’ve disappeared from myself
and my attributes.
I am present only for you.

I have forgotten all my learning,
but from knowing you
I have become a scholar.

I have lost all my strength,
but from your power
I am able.

If I love myself
I love you.
If I love you
I love myself."

the greatest thing about Rumi is that he writes about love, the pain of love, what goes inside a lover's mind and the endless yet sweetest sacrifices of love in a way that weaves the reader into a love story even if the reader,like myself, has never been loved or in love! Rumi makes you think of all the other "loves" in your life, all the great things that make you feel great, that make you smile and nod. For me the sight of my parents and small children are great loves of mine, they are my own loves , even if they are not a storming romance but that's what Rumi states, maybe without intention, that love is not Romance! that it is more pure and way higher.

Yes, the poems make me realize what I am missing; something so great something out of this world, an epic feeling, epic bond, and an epic yet pure desire. However with such cruel realization I feel warmth, yes his writings speak with warmth and with every tear my heart gets cleansed from it's cruelty because when you and the words of Rumi are bound there is no room for cruelty... only love.

the 2nd poem I will call it mine for that's how I want to be loved, and that's how I'll love you...whoever you are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment